Tuesday 29 July 2014

Book Review | The Faire Pendant: The Tale of Atterberry

Title: The Tale of Atterberry

Author: Leah Price

Genre: Children's fantasy

Pages: Unknown (around 200)

Series: The faire pendant series

Publisher: Talebearers publishing

Rating: 4.5 stars


Glenna’s life is anything but ordinary. The daughter of Renaissance festival vendors, Glenna’s days are filled with magic and medieval reenactments as she travels the faire circuit with her family.
Then one day, Glenna’s life changes forever. With the help of a pendant, she discovers Otherworld. An enchanted realm, Otherworld is the land in which all of the myths and magic woven by the Renaissance players comes to life!
Suddenly, Glenna is thrust into a quest filled with danger and deception when Atterberry, a great and powerful magician in Otherworld, needs help recovering a stolen item.
Can Glenna find the item in time? Can she summon the courage to become the medieval hero the residents of Otherworld expect her to be? And perhaps most importantly, can she juggle both her life in the real world and her life in Otherworld without damaging either?


I have always been a huge fan of anything fantasy and when I was given the opportunity to review this book I was so excited! I loved this book and I highly suggest it to anyone.

The first thing I loved about The tale of Atterberry was the characters. The main character Glenna and her friends were all unique and enchanting. I found myself intrigued and mystified by all of them and their expression. Recently, I have found myself reading increasing amount of YA fantasy and usually I look for an older protagonist who I can look up to and aspire to be. I found that although in this book, Glenna is younger than myself, I still looked up to her and found her a spirited and courageous young lady.

When I finished this book I found myself curious and craving more, an element which I think should be present in any book, yet so many authors fail to achieve. Here, I found myself gripped by the story and characters, even though it was intended for younger readers.

Since I could read, fantasy has been ever present in my life and I can just imagine how much joy, the imagination of the younger version of me would have found in these books. I think they are a real gem that can be read and enjoyed by any age.

I loved how the plot developed throughout and the mystery solving involved kept my mind at work. Although, I think it was predictable at times, I found I didn't mind and I think it was perfect for younger readers in the complexity sense. I thought that there were words which younger readers would struggle with, but that was fine as they only cropped up on occassion and it is an easy way to enhance vocabulary.

As a teenager I absolutely loved the ideas of the story...another world where myths and magic come to life? It was literally everything fantasy lovers could want in a book! It really left a lot of room for the imagination yet gave the most perfect descriptions, the writing was sublime and looking back on it, I am finding it near impossible to fault it. The only thing I could critisize was the predictability and although I loved the characters and all the elements of fantasy, I like books with a lot of action and a little romance and this book lacked, I found in both these aspects. However, as a children's book I would not expect either of these elements, so I suppose that's just me being picky!

The storyline was like nothing I've encountered before, I've never come across a fantasy book quite like this one and I am very eager to read the sequels. I can see this book series making it big...and it deserves to! I can't stress enough how great this book really is!

So if you are looking for a fantasy book that has ideas that are exciting, new and brimming with imagination then I suggest you get reading! I really hope this book gets the hype it deserves! A truly magnificent triumph!

Hebe x

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for taking the time to review The Tale of Atterberry. It was an honor to be featured on your blog.

    Thanks again! :)

    ReplyDelete